I can no longer have cranberries, so I decided to try something new for a similar sauce for Thanksgiving. It came out wonderfully, but it isn’t very tart. If you’re looking for tart, I would replace the grape juice with SCD legal tart cherry juice and reduce the pears by 2. I would likely also add about 3/4 cup more cherries. In fact, I would likely make this again just like that to replicate the familiarity of cranberry sauce. Enjoy!
Cherry Pear Sauce (Thanksgiving)
- 1 cup fresh or frozen pitted cherries (frozen used here)
- 4 green pears, skinned and cut
- 3/4 cup grape juice
- 1/2 to 2/3 cup water
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- pinch of salt
- Combine ingredients in sauce pan and cook until soft.
- Use an immersion blender to “spot blend” the fruit to allow for some retention of texture.
- Cook down a bit on low/simmer until it reaches a satisfactory consistency (I decided applesauce was a good one for myself).
- Allow to cool before storing. ***It will thicken a bit more once cooled. Store in a mason jar in the fridge. Next time I would personally add more cherries or only 2 pears, but that is just my personal preference.