After searching for a natural facial cleanser for some time now, I decided that making my own may be the best way to control what I am putting onto my skin. With all of my intolerances and new skin issues, this provides me with the flexibility to change up the formula as needed to accommodate. Right now I am battling dry skin and being in my 30’s has inspired me to look towards preserving some youthfulness in my skin.
You may wish to purchase pump bottles for storage and use of this face wash. The bottles I am using are BPA Free Liquid Hand Soap Dispensers w/ Foaming Pump (set of 3 on Amazon). This recipe is very flexible – the type of tea, the carrier oil, the essential oil(s), and the add-ins are all based on preference. Here are the reasons behind my choices of green tea, coconut oil, lavender, and vitamin E:
- Green Tea has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, fights aging with high levels of catechins (antioxidants), acts as an astringent, fights acne, and exfoliates among other things. You can read more here.
- Fractionated Coconut Oil has no color or oder and therefore maintains the purity of essential oils when used as a carrier oil. This carrier oil is ideal for dry skin and won’t clog pores.
- Lavender Esstional Oil treats acne, heal eczema, detoxifies, tones, restores complexion, and slows aging.
- Vitamin E Oil blocks free radicals (anti-aging), helps dry skin, and can work as sun-protection when combined with Vitamin C.
Some variations that may be of interest include:
- Oily skin: tea tree, lemongrass, or orange essential oils.
- Dry skin: rose, cedarwood, or lavender essential oils.
- Go here for a great chart of essential oils and their benefits in skin care use to find your perfect match/combination.
- Instead of green tea: chamomile tea, distilled water, rose water, or even coffee.
Share any adjusted recipes in the comments below and let me know how it works!
Green Tea & Lavender Face Wash
- Brew the tea, strong. Pour cooled tea into bowl or container along with the rest of the ingredients.
- Mix well (shake gently if using the bottles suggested above) and use daily!