I am currently on the Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD). From a scientific perspective, this diet is what I believe will heal my body. Any older recipes on here that include oats are part of an alternative diet based on SCD called IBD-AID developed by the University of Massachusetts.
Some people will eventually heal on SCD to the point where they will be able to tolerate “illegals” such as a grain or a sugar that the diet initially forbids. For now, I am back to strict SCD. Perhaps one day I will introduce something like oats back into my diet. Perhaps not.
Often I am asked if I miss things like ordering a pizza, a soft pretzel, some ice cream, and other items that are pre-made and otherwise delicious/convenient. My answer is that I can find a way to replicate those items for myself using legal items should I need to. Additionally, it is hard for me to miss something that is killing me from the inside. Why would I invite something into my life that destroys me? The way I see it, those foods are my enemy and I have no room for them as they exist. If I want pizza, I will adapt to a pizza that is made with food that I can tolerate.
Quality of life is everything.
Support & Info
- SCD Facebook Community
- SCD Group Facebook
- Wellbee’s Clickable Legal/Illegal List
- Everything SCD
- Elaine Gottschall Interview
- The Specific Carbohydrate Diet for Inflammatory Bowel Disease: A Case Series
- Diet and Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Against All Grain
- Glens Food Chronicles
- No More Crohns
- Snapshots And Stew Pots
- Comfy Belly
- A Life of Happenstance
- Gut Harmony
- Every Last Bite | SCD
- Illegal to Legal Conversions
- Cocoa Butter Recipes
- SCD Yogurt
- Coconut Milk Yogurt
- Coconut Cream & Honey Ice Cream
- GIprohealth.com (SCD)
- Squirrel and Bee
- JKGourmet.com (Canada)
- TheNuttyBaker.com.au (Australia)
- SCDBakery.com (Dartmouth, MA)
- GutHarmony.net – Online directory of SCD food stores.
- SCD Illegal To Legal Conversions
- SCD Supplements & Additives
- Golden Paste (Turmeric) Recipe
- UCSymptoms_MockDoc – My excel-based spreadsheet tracker for diet, symptoms, commonly used recipes, exercise, medications, et al. I may turn it into a program at some point, but for now you need to be able to use excel a bit to update charts, etc.
- Avoding Cross-Contact (Foods)
- FDA.gov Regulatory Info for Labeling Nutrition – Notice number 7 especially.